Initiates will be sent a welcome letter once their application has been accepted. Within the letter will be additional information.
Sky High Ranch
Woodland Park, CO
We need to know how you will be getting to the Sky High Ranch. All participants and staff will need to fill out the Travel Form at bottom of this page.
Past experience has taught us that many people underestimate the time it takes to get to Woodland Park, CO. Please give yourself plenty of time so you arrive on time and can get settled in. It is very important that we start promptly with everyone present.
- MROP registration/sign-in begins at 2:30 PM on Wednesday, September 13, 2017. (Please do not arrive earlier!)
- MROP event begins at 4:00 PM on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 and concludes by 3:00PM on Sunday, September 17, 2017.
- It is absolutely necessary to attend the entire MROP, from the opening on Wednesday through ending ceremony on Sunday.
(You may NOT come late or leave early except in cases of absolute emergency.)
MROP TRAVEL CHECKLIST
- Insect repellant
- Tweezers (to remove ticks)
- Wrist watch (You are asked not to use your cell phone to determine time)
- Check book or cash to purchase books, shirts, etc. from bookstore
- Any drum (or percussion instrument) you care to bring. No experience required. If you have an extra drum, label it and bring it for someone else to use. Other rhythm instruments are encouraged too.
- Personal symbol(s) that represent any of the following:
— what you need to let go of
— what you might need to grieve over
— what you still want to become
— any personal faith symbol
Note: These symbols will not need to be exhibited/shared, but we have found that it is helpful to many men for their own initiation purposes.
- Sleeping bag or sheets/blankets for a twin size mattress
- Usual toiletry items including soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.
- Two plain old white t-shirts (no words or designs on them)
- One plain black t-shirt (no words or designs on them)
- A pair of shorts/pants that can get stained
- Additional casual clothing as needed for the week
- Rain gear
- Hat (important for sun protection)
- Durable shoes appropriate for hiking and walking
- Journal/notebook with a pen or pencil
- Water bottle
- Day pack
- Garbage bag or other water repellent bag to protect items within day pack
MROP FAQ - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are the dates for the Rites of Passage?
- Check-in begins at 2:30 pm Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
- The Initiation begins at 4:00 PM on Wednesday, September 13, 2017, and concludes by 3:00 PM on Sunday, September 17, 2017.
It is absolutely necessary to attend the entire Initiation Rites from the opening on Wednesday through final Liturgy on Sunday. You may not come late or leave early, except in cases of absolute emergency.
What will be asked of me physically?
It is important to note that you must have a basic mobility and health that will allow you to crawl, hike, and fast. There will be a 24-hour fast from Friday (after supper) until Saturday supper. We will make accommodations for those with special dietary needs; otherwise only water will be consumed during this time.
How and when do I handle my final payment and arrival information?
The Sky High Ranch requires total payment for any guest registered for a program at their facility — even if that guest does not show up. For this reason, we request that all registrants pay for the entire Men’s Rite of Passage by Friday, August 25, 2017. In order to keep your reserved place for this MROP, please send your balance of $445, along with the Payment/Travel Information Form that is included in this letter. Please make your final payment at our web site or in the form of a check or money order. (If you sent your application with a $50 down payment before our Early Bird deadline of June 1, your balance will be $395.)
Where is the Sky High Ranch?
What is the weather like there?
September is pristine vacation weather in northern Colorado. The temperature usually averages between 70-80, although some years have reached the 90s or dip into the 60s. It can be humid during this time of year, but don’t worry the sleeping quarters are air-conditioned. The biggest concerns may be mosquitoes (be sure to pack plenty of bug repellent) and deer ticks/wood ticks (which can be a nuisance or sometimes dangerous).
What do I need to bring?
Please see the travel checklist above on this webpage for what to bring.
What are the accommodations at the Sky High Ranch?
How do I get to the Sky High Ranch?
Please see the information at the top of this webpage for location of the Sky High Ranch.
Who do I contact if my plane is delayed?
If your plane is delayed, contact Phil Rogacki at (303) 444-4562.
Are there places available to stay before and/or after the Rites of Passage?
If you need accommodations before and/or after the Rites, we recommend that you Google hotels near Denver airport. There is a variety of hotels, from the inexpensive to the elaborate. Nearly all have shuttle service to/from the airport.
Are there any resources available to prepare for the Rites of Passage?
If you want to do some preparatory reading/viewing, you can order it from the Center for Action and Contemplation’s on-line bookstore at www.cacradicalgrace.org. You can also call the CAC Resource Center directly (505) 247-1636 to order these and other materials.
- Men Matter: A Quest for the True Self — audio recording by Richard Rohr
- From Wild Man to Wise Man — book by Richard Rohr
- Quest for the Grail — book by Richard Rohr
- Beloved Sons: Why Males Need Initiation — audio and DVD
It is recommended that Rohr’s Adam’s Return not be read until after your Rites of Passage experience. (If you have already read it, don’t worry about it.) A bookstore with books and teachings will be available at these Rites. Bring cash or a check book to cover any purchases.